We write with updates and reminders on Special Payroll and PageUp.
MAY INTERSESSION & SUMMER PAYROLL PROCESSING IN PAGEUP
Regular Payroll Faculty Members
Summer appointments (5/23-8/22) for regular payroll faculty members, eligible under the Extra Compensation policy, are now processed through a SmartHR transaction, which HR will post-audit. These appointments will not be processed through PageUp. Departments should submit the SmartHR transaction with the appropriate documentation for regular payroll faculty members:
- Conducting research: The Faculty Research Certification is now available on the HR website.
- Teaching a credit course: The offer letter template is now available on the HR website.
- Performing all other work on special payroll: The offer letter template is now available on the HR website.
Departments should use the PageUp special payroll graduate search that HR has set up for summer (5/22-8/22) appointments. Departments will need to send out the link to the graduate student(s) to apply. Once the graduate student has applied, the department can submit the hire request with the appropriate documentation for graduate students:
- Conducting research: The offer letter to use in this situation is “Grad Student Technician,” as found in the PageUp merge feature.
- Teaching a credit course: The offer letter to use in this situation is “Grad Special Pay Lecturer,” as found in the PageUp merge feature.
- Providing course support: Currently, departments submit requests for GA Instructional Specialists at the maximum stipend amount; however, the final stipend amount depends on student enrollment in the course, and the stipend amount cannot be updated if the GA has already accepted the offer and a SmartHR has been processed. To address this issue for summer 2020, HR recommends the following process: Departments continue to submit hire requests at the maximum stipend (and the offer letter, “Grad Instructional Specialist,” should contain the stipend formula, not the actual stipend) and continue to offer the position to the GA. Departments should refrain from submitting the SmartHR transaction until after the final stipend amount is known; HR will update the hire request and re-export the data to Smart HR for processing by departments. HR will contact departments at the end of the add/drop periods to collect final stipend amounts.
|Add/Drop Schedule for Final Course Support Stipend|
|Session||Add/Drop End Date|
|May Term (5/11-5/29)||May 13|
|Summer Session 1 (6/1-7/2)||June 5|
|Alternative Session 1 (6/1-7/10)||June 5|
|Summer Session 2 (7/13-8/14)||July 17|
|Alternative Session 2 (7/13-8/21)||July 17|
|Summer Session 3 (6/1-8/28)||June 5|
UCPEA and Special Payroll
A Flexible Work Schedule Agreement Form is needed when an employee in a position covered by UCPEA is on a special payroll appointment and needs to adjust their regular payroll schedule to accommodate the special payroll activity. Completed forms should be sent directly to BOTH firstname.lastname@example.org and SPAR@uconn.edu for approval. Once approved by Labor Relations, HR will be able to continue processing the special payroll request.
Late Course Cancellations for Adjunct Faculty Members
Article 26.3 of the AAUP contract requires notice to adjunct faculty when their scheduled course is cancelled. Notification timeframes vary by length of service:
- 30 days’ notice for adjuncts who have worked less than 6 consecutive semesters.
- 45 days’ notice for adjuncts who have worked 6 or more consecutive semesters.
If the adjunct faculty member does not receive the necessary notification, they are eligible for a partial lump-sum payment of their original appointment. The following formula is used to calculate the lump-sum payment:
- Number of Days’ Notice Required by Contract – Actual Number of Days’ Notice Prior to the Start of the Course = Days’ Owed
- (Intended Stipend Payment / Number of Days in the Semester) * Days’ Owed = One-Time Lump-Sum Payment
The lump-sum payment should be processed through SmartHR.
Please forward any questions to email@example.com.
From: Special Payroll Information <SPECIAL_PAYROLL-L@LISTSERV.UCONN.EDU> On Behalf Of Murray, Brandon
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2020 9:27 AM
Subject: Update: Special Payroll and PageUp